The gas detectors market was valued at USD 2,631.2 million in 2019, while recording a CAGR of 3.37% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025. Heightened activity in the oil and gas and petrochemical sectors, together with upgraded regulatory compliance, is encouraging revenues in the otherwise mature and slow-growing global gas detection market. Growing concerns about personnel and plant safety are the important market drivers for the adoption of gas detectors, in day-to-day business models. Furthermore, safety awareness is on the rise among end users, due to the increasing number of fatal accidents related to gas leakages and explosions, leading to a majority of workers insisting that they are equipped with gas detectors. Moreover, with increased R&D efforts, new technologies, such as tunable diode lasers (TDLA), are being developed, which detect and measure gases at a low density of air, and offer several measurement advantages, such as highly stable calibration and less cross-interference from the presence of other gases.
- The rising production volume of shale gas is one of the significant factors expected to propel the marketís growth. Due to the continuous advances in the extraction technologies, the production of shale gas has augmented considerably in the United States. For instance, natural gas production globally is projected to upsurge from 342 billion cubic feet per day (Bcf/d) in 2015 to 554 Bcf/d by 2040, the principal component of this growth is natural gas production from shale resources, which rises from 42 Bcf/d in 2015 to 168 Bcf/d by 2040 and is anticipated to account for 30% of world natural gas production by the end of the forecast period (US Energy Information Administration). This may significantly increase the number of oil and gas rigs in North America, directly affecting the demand for fixed and portable gas detectors and analyzer systems.
- With low LELs (lower explosive limits) range, like for many flammable gases it is less than 5% by volume and a wide flammable/explosive range, there is a risk of explosion even with small concentrations of the gas escape into the atmosphere. The contribution of gas detection management in the petrochemical industry, therefore, plays an imperative role, thus fueling the growth of the market. Moreover, technological advancements, such as wireless communication facilities and sensor technologies, are also expected to drive the marketís growth. As the cost of IoT sensors also declines, a majority of the industries that deal with hazardous/flammable materials are bound to start integrating these sensors into their day-to-day operations, to improve the safety and operational efficiency.
- Companies are investing heavily on the production of gas detectors for chemical and petrochemical industry. For instance, FLIRís Griffin G510 portable gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer (GC-MS) instruments use next-generation mass spectrometry technology to detect, identify, and confirm the presence of explosives, drugs, CWAs, TICs, environmental pollutants, and a wide range of other chemicals in the air, liquid, and solid samples.
Key Market Trends
Oil and Gas Sector is Expected to Dominate the Market
- The global gas detection equipment market in the oil and gas sector is expected to grow conspicuously in the future, due to the rising product demand owing to the enormous rise in the demand for plant safety. The growing demand for gas monitoring amenities, to notice the presence of harmful gases, is also anticipated to witness constant gas detector equipment market growth, particularly in the industrial segment.
- The deployment of IoT in the oil and gas industry has realized superior field communication, real-time monitoring, digital oil field infrastructure, condensed cost of maintenance, reduced power consumption, greater productivity, and, thus, heightened safety and security of assets and workforce. For instance, gas wastage is a key issue that needs to be countered. LPG gas is extremely flammable and can inflict harm to life and property. Gas detectors, coupled with IoT, can play a substantial role in gas detection and block wastage of gases, thus fueling the growth of the market.
- Trending is the Infra Red Gas Detection, where ongoing advances in infrared technology have lead to in fail-to-safe hydrocarbon gas point detectors that constantly monitor combustible gases and vapors within the lower explosive limit (LEL) and provide alarm indication thus able to measure gas concentration at a single location (use of point infrared detector) or over big areas (use of open path infrared detector).
- The rising production volume of shale gas is one of the significant factors expected to propel the marketís growth. Due to the continuous advances in the extraction technologies, the production of shale gas has augmented considerably in the US. For instance, natural gas production globally is projected to upsurge from 342 billion cubic feet per day (Bcf/d) in 2015 to 554 Bcf/d by 2040, the principal component of this growth is natural gas production from shale resources, which rises from 42 Bcf/d in 2015 to 168 Bcf/d by 2040 and is anticipated to account for 30% of world natural gas production by the end of the forecast period (U.S. Energy Information Administration), hence could intensify the market growth.
- The businesses are focusing on incorporating advanced technologies for proposing gas detecting product differentiation in the market. For instance, Huawei eLTE Gas Detection Solution provides outstanding performance for IoT scenarios, requiring lesser devices, with correspondingly less management and maintenance efforts.
North American Region Dominated the Market
- The North American gas detectors market holds a dominant position owing to the presence of several governmental regulations supporting the protection and safety of workers in the manufacturing facilities of various industries. Also, the high consumption of smart and connected devices across various industry verticals, such as manufacturing and automotive, is boosting the market in the region. According to the Consumer Technology Association, connected device shipments are expected to amount to 791 million units in the United States, by 2021. Additionally, the presence of leading detectors manufacturers in the United States is further generating prospects for the gas detectors market development in the region.
- Furthermore, the market for gas detectors is already at its dominant position in the region. Hence, the demand for gas detecting devices for new applications or replacement purposes across the industries is more than the generation of new demand. For instance, the United States is witnessing an increasing demand for gas sensors from the petrochemical industry. Also, the adoption of electrochemical-based devices is significantly high in end-user industries, such as medical, industrial, environmental, and automotive, owing to features like accuracy and efficiency.
- Also, the government regulations have mandated the use of these devices in potentially hazardous environments, proliferating the demand for gas detectors in the region. For instance, according to the study by the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention in January 2019, every year, more than 430 people in the United States die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Approximately 50,000 people in the United States visit the emergency department each year due to accidental CO poisoning. Similarly, more than 50 people die every year from CO poisoning in Canada, according to the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs. As a result, the adoption for carbon monoxide (CO) gas detectors is beneficial, as these appliances can unknowingly cause dangerous levels of CO gas to build up in homes.
The gas detectors market is moderately competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. These major players with a prominent share in the market are focusing on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. These companies are leveraging strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and increase their profitability. The competition, rapid technological advancements, and frequent changes in consumer preferences are expected to pose a threat to the marketís growth of the companies during the forecast period.
- July 2019 - Honeywell acquired privately-held TruTrak Flight Systems, a leader in autopilots for experimental, light-sport, and certified aircraft. The acquisition will become part of Honeywell's BendixKing business, helping to deliver affordable technologies to the experimental and general aviation markets.
- November 2018 - Emerson modernized Sonatrach Gas Processing Plant in Algeria. The company, in partnership with Fores Engineering, has signed a USD 32 million contract with Sonatrach, Algeria's state energy company, to modernize its gas processing plant in Alrar.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Growing Awareness about Hazards across Major Industries
4.3.2 Stringent Government Regulations for Safety of Workers
4.3.3 Companies Focussing on Smart Detectors
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Intense Competition in the Market
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Technology Snapshot
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Communication Type
5.2 By Type of Detector
5.2.2 Portable and Transportable
5.3 By End User
5.3.1 Oil and Gas
5.3.2 Chemicals and Petrochemicals
5.3.3 Water and Wastewater
5.3.4 Metal and Mining
5.3.6 Other End Users
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 Latin America
5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Honeywell International Inc.
6.1.2 Dr√§gerwerk AG & Co KgaA
6.1.3 MSA Safety Inc.
6.1.4 Emerson Electric Company
6.1.5 SENSIT Technologies
6.1.7 Industrial Scientific
6.1.8 New Cosmos Electric Co. Ltd
6.1.9 Trolex Ltd
6.1.11 Hanwei Electronics Group Corporation
6.1.12 International Gas Detectors
6.1.13 Sensidyne LP
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.