The market for calcium carbide is expected to witness a CAGR of around 3% during the forecast period. The major factors that are driving the growth of the market studied are increasing steel production across the world and increase in demand for chemical production.
- On the flipside, detrimental health effects are expected to hinder the growth of the market.
- By end-user industry, chemical industry accounted for the largest share, holding more than 70% of the total volume of the calcium carbide market.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market with China being the largest producer and consumer of calcium carbide globally.
Key Market Trends
Acetylene Gas Application to Dominate the Market
- Acetylene gas is manufactured by reacting calcium carbide with water. It is a combustible gas with a distinctive odor. The gas becomes explosive when it is liquefied, compressed, heated, or mixed with air. For this reason, special precaution is taken while handling the gas.
- One of the most extensive applications of acetylene gas is its use in the preparation of various organic chemicals. One such chemical is 1,4-butanediol, which is widely used in the synthesis of polyurethane and polyester plastics. Bulk acetylene can also be used as a raw material to produce acetaldehyde, acetic anhydrite, and acetic acid.
- Acetylene is also used for oxyacetylene cutting, wielding, and heat treating. Acetylene gas flame has the highest flame temperature among many common hydrocarbons because of the presence of triple bond structure. Combustion with oxygen results in flame temperature of 3090 ˇC, releasing 54.8 kJ/liter (1470 BTUs/ft3 ) of energy.
- Acetylene gas is also used for flame cleaning of sheet metal surfaces. By this process rust, mill scale and other scales are removed by low-cost flame cleaning. This also results in enhancing the corrosion resistance of the surfaces. For this reason, flame-cleaned surfaces ensure excellent adhesion of paints and coatings.
- With the increasing demand for acetylene gas, the consumption of calcium carbide is projected to increase during the forecast period.
China to Dominate the Global Market
- China is the worldŐs largest producer and consumer of calcium carbide. The country is the most dominant player in the market with more than 85% of the share.
- As a result of its large reserves and growing demand for VCM (vinyl chloride monomer), VAM (vinyl acetate monomer), and BDO (butanediol) from acetylene, the consumption of calcium carbide is increasing at a yearly average rate of more than 8%.
- Moreover, the country has the largest consumption of coal. Not only has it been used for power generation, but the Chinese have been using coal for chemical production for a long time. Since the late 19th century, coal tar has been in use for the synthesis aromatics and special chemical compounds, primarily for the dye industry.
- Lately, the country has been using calcium carbide to convert coal to acetylene. This has led to the increased production of acrylonitrile (ACN), vinyl chloride monomer (VCM), 1,4-butanediol (BDO), and acrylic acid (AA).
- The conversion of CaC2 to poly vinyl chloride (PVC), represents over 80% of ChinaŐs total PVC production. Thus, the usage of calcium carbide is expected to play an important role as a raw material to produce acetylene-based chemicals, during the forecast period.
- China is also the worldŐs largest exporter of calcium carbide. The country exports CaC2 to almost every neighboring countries as well as other major countries across the world, including Japan, Guinea, C™te d'Ivoire, Mauritania, Sri Lanka, Djibouti, Indonesia, India, Nigeria, etc.
- Although China's economic growth s likely to become further moderate, it is expected that the demand for calcium carbide will continue to sustain healthy rates during the forecast period.
The global calcium carbide market is segmented in nature, with intense competition among the top players to increase the shares in the market. The top 7 players account for around 25% of the global market share. China accounts for around 90% of the total production and consumption in the market studied. The major players in the market include Xinjiang Zhongtai Chemical Co. Ltd, Xinjiang Tianye (Group) Co. Ltd, Ningxia Jinhaoyuan Chemical Group Co. Ltd, Inner Mongolia Baiyanhu Chemical Limited Liability Company, Denka Company Limited, Ningxia Yinglite Chemical Co. Ltd, and Xiahuayuan Xuguang Chemical Co. Ltd, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Steel Production across the World
4.1.2 Increase in Demand for Chemical Production
4.2.1 Detrimental Health Effects
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Trade Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Acetylene Gas
5.1.2 Calcium Cyanamide
5.1.3 Reducing & Dehydrating Agent
5.1.4 Desulfurizing and Deoxidizing Agent
5.1.5 Other Applications (Modulizing Agent and Finishing Slag)
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.4 Other End-user Industries (Pyrotechnics, Carbide Lamps, etc.)
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Market Share Analysis
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 AlzChem Group AG
6.2.2 American Elements
6.2.3 CARBIDE INDUSTRIES LLC
6.2.4 DCM Shriram Ltd
6.2.5 Denka Company Limited
6.2.6 Inner Mongolia Baiyanhu Chemical Co. Ltd
6.2.7 Inner Mongolia Junzheng Energy Chemical Group Co. Ltd
6.2.8 MCB Industries Sdn Bhd
6.2.9 Merck KGaA (Sigma-Aldrich)
6.2.10 Mil-Spec Industries Corporation
6.2.11 NGO Chemical Group Ltd
6.2.12 Ningxia Jinhaoyuan Chemical Group Co. Ltd
6.2.13 Ningxia Yinglite Chemical Co. Ltd
6.2.14 Xiahuayuan Xuguang Chemical
6.2.15 Xinjiang Tianye Co. Ltd
6.2.16 Xinjiang Zhongtai Chemical Co. Ltd
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Downstream Application of Acetylene
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.