The global blister packaging market was valued at USD 18.88 billion in 2019, and it is expected to reach a value of USD 25.78 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 6.31% during the forecast period (2020-2025). The outbreak of new diseases, growth in regulatory norms across the world, focus on population health management, inventions, more informed customers, and growth in OTC drugs, have augmented the growth of blister packaging.
- Increasing pressure on pharmaceutical companies to manufacture more medicines to be made available for patients, owing to a rise in diseases and stringent governmental regulations against counterfeit drugs are among the major factors propelling the market. Blister packaging offers an efficient method of anti-counterfeit systems, like banknote authentication system and others.
- Factors like product integrity and extended shelf life are highly necessary for the pharmaceutical sector, considering that most consumers store their drugs in a temperature variant atmosphere that can be harmful to unprotected medicines.
- However, unsuitability for heavy items coupled with stringent regulation in developing countries is anticipated to restrain the market growth.
Scope of the Report
Blister pack is a term for several types of pre-formed plastic packaging used for small consumer goods, foods, and for pharmaceuticals. They are useful for protecting products against external factors, such as humidity and contamination for extended periods of time. Opaque blisters also protect light-sensitive products against UV rays.
Key Market Trends
Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sector to Account for a Major Share
- The healthcare and pharmaceuticals sector poses a different set of demands for the blister packaging solutions, regarding insulation from external surroundings, high levels of protection, cost-effectiveness and ease of handling.
- These packs are uniquely suited to meet the stringent standards and highly valued for protective properties, adaptability, and cost-effectiveness, and requirements of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare packaging industry.
- When drugs are packaged in blisters, adherence is improved because consumers are better able to keep track of their medications and dosing. The unit dosage feature of blisters reduces the risk of incorrect dosing.
- The retail-level preparation of prescription drugs is troubling pharmacists or pharmaceutical technicians. The administration of medicines in the open atmosphere of the supermarket and drug store can negatively affect sensitive drugs when they are transferred from container to container. Blister packaging can ensure the process of distribution directly to the customer.
- Protecting product integrity remains the primary goal of pharmaceutical healthcare packaging, but as in all areas of the packaging industry, there is continued work on cost reduction in the packaging process.
- Blister packed medicines can prove to be very helpful for transportation of medicines such as ones used for diabetes which will be transported to long distances.
Europe to Hold a Significant Share
- The pharmaceutical and healthcare industry holds the dominant share of the blister packaging market in Europe. The consumer goods sector is also expected to contribute a significant market share over the forecast period.
- Blister packaging also provides the possibility to create a compliance pack or calendar pack by labeling the prescription, to which patients can easily adhere.
- The European community has stronger environmental incentives to use blister packaging because of the stringent regulations over using the excess material into the packaging system. The use of blister packaging allows manufacturers to reduce packages to a minimal size
- In Europe, the UK pharmaceutical industry is one of the major engines of innovation and research. The industry spends billions on R&D and employs vast numbers of highly skilled personnel for R&D roles.
- These massive investments and the proportion of skilled workers employed show how Britain is building up the pipeline of medicines and future drugs. These ongoing investments can be perceived as an excellent opportunity for the growth of blister packaging in the country.
The blister packaging market is moderately fragmented due to presence of significant number of players in the market. Some of the key players in the market include Bemis, Westrock, Honeywell among others. Some key recent developements include:
- March 2018 - Packaging companies Amcor and SIG partnered for Aluminum sourcing. The collaboration aimed to ensure supply chain of aluminum foil meets Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI).
- January 2018 - Perlen Packaging, the packaging division of the CPH Group, acquired Sekoya Indústria e Comércio. The acquisition was aimed at increasing the supply flexibility and also to enable the company to serve the Latin American market faster and more efficiently.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Rising Geriatric Population and Prevalence of Diseases
4.3.2 Tamper-evident Design for Product Protection
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Not Suitable for Packaging Heavy Items
4.5 Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Process
5.2 By Material
5.2.1 Plastic Films
5.2.2 Paper & Paperboard
5.2.4 Other Materials
5.3 By End-user Industry
5.3.1 Consumer Goods
5.3.4 Other End-user Industries
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 Latin America
5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Amcor PLC
6.1.2 Westrock Company
6.1.3 Constantia Flexibles GmbH
6.1.4 Sonoco Products Company
6.1.5 Klockner Pentaplast Group
6.1.6 E.I.Du Pont De Nemours and Company
6.1.7 Honeywell International Inc.
6.1.8 Pharma Packaging Solutions
6.1.9 Tekni-Plex, Inc.
6.1.10 The Dow Checmical Company
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.