The capacitive sensors market was valued at USD 25.11 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 34.50 billion by 2025, recording a CAGR of 5.5%, during the forecast period of 2020-2025 The increase in application in the consumer electronics industry is driving the capacitive sensor market in the forecast period.
- Capacitive sensing technology is witnessing swift developments to meet the advanced user interface requirements of modern applications. The increasing preference for capacitive sensors, due to their more exceptional durability, superior sensitivity, and higher measurement accuracy than resistive or inductive sensors is one of the primary factors driving the growth of the market studied.
- The rise in automation of complex production systems has increased the demand for components capable of providing critical data related to the production process. These sensors facilitate process control in factories by detecting the presence and position of metal objects.
- The implementation of touchscreen display systems as human-machine interaction, by end users, such as consumer, industrial, automotive, and medical, is also anticipated to drive the demand for capacitive sensors. Also, the increasing factory automation of production processes is expected to spur the demand for capacitive sensors in the healthcare and automotive industries.
- However, issues related to supply shortage of indium tin oxide are estimated to challenge the growth of the market studied, during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Capacitive sensors are contact or non-contact devices that sense the electrically charged objects that can detect the presence or absence of any kind of object despite any material (metallic or non-metallic). They can even sense the non-conductors since they can be electrically charged. I.e, any object can be detected with a capacitive sensor. They can be widely used in consumer electronics, automotive, aerospace & defense, among others.
Key Market Trends
Automotive Industry to Account for a Significant Share
- Human-machine interface technologies have witnessed a paradigm shift, owing to the increasing information interchange between a social and various systems in cars. This has resulted in a surge in demand for capacitive sensors, as they are deployed for the implementation of human-machine interface (HMI) applications, such as indoor illumination control, navigation control, etc.
- For instance, the Japanese government has proposed an ambitious strategy to be implemented during the Tokyo 2020 Summer Games - the introduction of a self-driving vehicle force, to be used as Olympic transport.
- Also, an automated vehicle is nested with a position sensor, humidity sensor, temperature sensor, capacitive sensor, and others. These sensors are used in the infotainment system, keyless entry system, 3D gesture, and interior lighting control, etc. With the increase in global automotive penetration, the demand for these sensors including the capacitive sensor, it will increase in the forecast period.
- For Example, In the parking assistance system, these sensors can detect the presence of objects in the pathway of the reversing vehicle and can raise the alarm to warn the driver. These sensors also prevent collision with pedestrians while parking and the demand is expected to be continuing during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Grow Significantly Over the Forecast Period
- The established electronics industry in Asia-Pacific and adoption of innovative technologies have provided the regional organizations a competitive edge, in the market studied. Moreover, the region enjoys the presence of several major capacitive sensor vendors, such as Omron Corporation (Japan), and Fujitsu Ltd (Japan), among others.
- The increasing demand for consumer electronic products in the region is expected to further drive the market’s growth prospects. Talking about smartphones the major smartphone manufacturers, like Samsung (South Korea), are using capacitive touch sensors for smartphones. According to Ericsson, the estimated number of smartphone subscriptions is the highest in Asia-Pacific, at about 2,077 million, during 2015-2017.
- Moreover, Japanese researchers are also exploring new applications, apart from traditional use in touchpads and tablets. For instance, research is being carried out to integrate capacitive touch sensors with the 1-micron size of nylon fibers, for patient monitoring in the healthcare sector.
- The National Development and Reform Commission of China has also unveiled a three-year plan for the development of smart cars, which is anticipated to drive the demand for capacitive sensors, in the region.
The major players in the market are Cypress Semiconductor, STMicroelectronics, NXP Semiconductors, Analog Devices, 3M Company, Omron Corporation, and Siemens AG, among others. The market is fragmented due to the presence of several players that continuously strive to gain a competitive edge in the market. Therefore, market concentration will be low.
- Jun 2018 - Texas Instruments launched HDC2080 capacitive-based sensor, which is an integrated humidity and temperature sensor that provides high-accuracy measurements in a small DFN package, with low power consumption. This capacitive-based sensor incorporates new combined digital features and a heating element, to disperse condensation and moisture.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Increasing Implementation of Touch Screen Displays as Human-Machine Interaction Systems
4.3.2 Rising Usage of Scratch-resistant Non-glass Surfaces
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Supply Shortage of Indium Tin Oxide
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Touch Sensor
5.1.2 Motion Sensor
5.1.3 Position Sensor
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By End-user Industry
6.1.2 Aerospace and Defense
6.1.4 Food and Beverages
6.1.5 Oil & Gas
6.1.6 Other End-user Industries
6.2.1 North America
6.2.4 Latin America
6.2.5 Middle East & Africa
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Fujitsu Limited
7.1.2 Omron Corporation
7.1.3 3M Company
7.1.4 Analog Devices Inc.
7.1.5 NXP Semiconductors NV
7.1.6 Siemens AG
7.1.7 Infineon Technologies AG
7.1.8 Texas Instruments Inc.
7.1.9 STMicroelectronics NV
7.1.10 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
7.1.11 Microchip Technology Inc.
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.